Sunday, July 6, 2008

Two in One

Today marks my 4th day in Kansas City, MO, but the first day I went to get BBQ (during this visit at least). After much debate with my brother, searches on the internet and previous conversations with my friends I decided to go to Gates BBQ, I guess properly Gates and Son's BBQ.
Photobucket

Besides, it seems that most BBQ places in KC are closed on Sundays and Gates was open. Anyway, I've had friends, coworkers, interns and others tell me that if I'm going to KC, MO I need to go to Gates. All previous visits to KC, MO I never made it. Arthur Bryant's - Check. Jack Stack - Check. Gates? Negative.

Not going to Gates was eating at me, so today was the day. Despite the fact that my brother was nay saying Gates, I had to go.

We got there right after a group large group of kids got there. It set us back in time, but it was ok. We made friends with a few of the kids. They're in town all summer working for a summer camp. The one kid we talked to most was from Memphis and was overly concerned with how his "Combo and 1/2" was going to be sliced. A dilemma we didn't see to and end. However, he did tell us that if we go to Memphis we should go to Rendezvous.

My brother and I decided to order the Mixed Plate (13.95$). The Mixed Plate is comprised of roughly 1/4 lbs of sliced brisket, 1/4 lbs of sliced ham, about 3 pork spare ribs, fries and 3 pieces of bread sliced.

Photobucket

Gates BBQ was very underwhelming to say the least. Maybe it was over-hyped, but all in all, not very good. First is the sauce. I don't mind sauce on the meat, but the meat needs to stand on it's own. This meat, would have had the hardest time standing on it's own, but more of that in a second. The sauce was spicy. All of the sauce was hot, don't get me wrong I like hot, but this was overwhelmingly peppery - too much black pepper? I settled on the Sweet and Mild sauce. The meat was already covered in the Original Sauce, so it was more like a combination of the two.

Now the meats. They all seamed a little undercooked and borderline dry. Is this what the sauce was covering? I've had good brisket: moist, flavorful and tender. Gates' brisket was lacking in the moist and tender department; even though it had flavor, it was nothing astonishing. The ham was a little more flavorful, but also dry and on the undercooked side. Besides it was kind of like a ham you'd eat on Thanksgiving or Christmas. The ribs were by far my favorite thing on the plate. Despite being a bit dry and borderline too salty, they were ok.

The pickles were too sour, but the fries were good.

All in all Gates BBQ was lacking in every department.
Gates Rating: C

WAIT WAIT! I'm not done. We immediately tried to go to LC's BBQ. However, like many of the other BBQ places I looked up, LC's was also closed. So on a totally unnecessary BBQ mission we ended up going Arthur Bryant's downtown.

Photobucket

I've frequented Arthur Bryant's a few times prior and I always left a full and happy man. This time would be no different. With a short line and difficult decision (pork or beef) I opted for the "beef sandwich" (7.95 each) and a Boulevard Pale Ale. I see my server place the butcher paper down, toss a handful of pickles on the paper and then place 4 slices of bread on the paper also. I turned my head while waiting in line and my cutter dissappeard. He didn't really dissappear he was getting more meat out of the smoker. I saw him trim the brisket and I'll tell you what - I immedately started smiling. All of the juices were dripping as he cut and when he tossed the brisket on the meat slicer juices went on the window. He proceeded to cut about half of a pound, which seems on par for their sandwiches, for my sandwich. Rolled it all up and handed it to me.

Photobucket

It was a tender, juicy and flavorful brisket. It's definately one of my favorites. The bread soaks up the excess juices. I don't really eat it like a sandwich, I find the bread a bit mushy to use like a sandwich. I actually set aside a pile of beef on my plate. No matter how you eat it, it'll be good. I added a little salt and then mixed my Sweet and Mild with the Orginal Sauce. All of the flavors come together nicely in your mouth. The only thing I wish was that the beef had a little bit of the cooked crust from the cooking process.

Arthur Bryant's has a great beef (brisket) sandwich, that I will probably visit again next time I visit KC.
Arthur Bryant's Rating: A-

(As a side note, I totally forgot the camera at the house when we left and I stole these images from various images searches. I cheated on pictures of chain bbq joints. Sorry. Thanks to everyone who's picture I "borrowed")

4 comments:

LAUREN SPOHRER said...

dear low and slow bros:
I am going to jax, fla and thomson, ga this weekend...where should i go for BBQ?

Jeremy said...

i'm a fan of The Pig in jax. it's a bit of a hike for you, but 5456 Normandy Blvd, Jacksonville, FL. there's also a branch in middleburg. the normandy location is a bit rundown or rough around the edges, but the bbq is the same. they have a carolina style sauce that i like a lot. this question did make me search jax for bbq and there are a ton of new places i need to try that are not sonny's, bono's or woody's.

killer b said...

If you can get over to Macon (roughly 50 miles southwest of Thomson) definitely consider Fincher's BBQ. Samuel and I went there while on weevil safari, and it ruled. We went the the original location, which is definitely in the ghetto, but well worth any neighborhood fright factor.

They do have other locations, which may be closer or more convenient for you. I'm sure the food is equally impressive. Check their website:

http://www.finchersbarbecuerestaurant.com

Over a 4-week-long trip, involving BBQ for two-thirds of all our meals, to say that Fincher's was probably my favorite is saying a lot.

killer b said...

Also, if you find yourself in the Atlanta area, Fat Matt's Rib Shack is an old local favorite.

http://www.fatmattsribshack.com